cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dyee4613
Contributor
Contributor

Learning Qlik - Best Practices

Hello.  I'm sorry as I'm sure this question is asked a lot but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the best way to learn Qlik Sense. Here are the questions I have:

1) Data Transformations - I'm used to performing data transformations using Power Query which visualizes the data and has a drag and drop interface.  From my limited research, it looks like Qlik uses a scripting language to transform data prior to integrating it into a data model.  This seems like it will require a good amount of time to learn.  Is it better to spend that time learning the QLIK Scripting language or should I just learn how to do it in SQL and then bring in the data?  I am sure there are pros and cons to both but in the short-term I'm probably only going to bother learning one and I wanted to know what is preferred among Qlik Users?

2) Training - What courses have people used to learn Qlik Sense?  Are there known youtubers?  I saw Qlik Sense has a free business analyst video set.  I watched a few introduction videos and most of it is pretty intuitive.  

The two areas I'm struggle with is understanding how filtering works in Qlik Sense but I think I just need more practice playing with data.  The big area of focus is to understand the lexicon (what functions are available in Qlik Sense, how they work) and the syntax in Qlik Sense so I can write functions/play around with it.   

Thank you for your time!  

Labels (4)
4 Replies
igoralcantara
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hello and welcome to the Green side of he Force!

Regarding your concerns, Qlik scripting is not out of this world to learn. If you know SQL you will find Qlik script very straight forward.

In terms of resources, Qlik Help and Qlik Learning are the best places to start. There are also a lot of very good youtube videos about it.

https://help.qlik.com

https://learning.qlik.com

In addition, a friend and I are starting a blog. Check below on my signature.

----
datavoyagers.net
dyee4613
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you for your post!  I will definitely check out your blog.  I've taken a few courses on SQL and I can write basic functions but without ever having to use it in my day to day I never really developed this skill.  My question is that I won't be able to piggy back on Power Query so I will have to learn how to actually write ETL code.  Is it better to just do it in SQL then bring it into QLIK or is it better to focus on bringing the data in and transforming it in QLIK.  

I know each will have it's on strengths and weaknesses so both will be ideal but I'm wondering which should be my primary focus.  I'm leaning towards SQL since it has more applications unless it is strongly recommended to learn one or both.

anat
Master
Master

you can also refer below QCC portal for learning....

https://learning.qlik.com/qcc

igoralcantara
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Try this link:

Tutorial - Scripting for beginners | Qlik Cloud Help

----
datavoyagers.net