Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ammarahw
Contributor III
Contributor III

Converting UTC to event time zone and then distinguishing between 'after hours' and 'business hours'

I need to convert a timestamp from UTC to the time zone where the event occurred and then create a field that says whether that time is in Business Hours or After Hours. This is the calculation I currently have for this but it times out when I put it into a visual:

=IF((HOUR(ConvertToLocalTime(call_start_time, time_zone)) >= 8 AND HOUR(ConvertToLocalTime(call_start_time, time_zone)) <= 17), 'Business Hours', 'After Hours')

I have also tried creating a measure called Call Local Time that is:

ConvertToLocalTime(call_start_time, time_zone)

then plugging this calculation into

=IF((HOUR(Call Local Time)) >= 8 AND HOUR(Call Local Time)) <= 17), 'Business Hours', 'After Hours')

The problem is that with the measure being plugged into the dimension the result doesn't seem accurate as it starts calling everything After Hours despite there actually being more of a 50/50 split between after hours and business hours. 

I was wondering if its possible to write the calculation in the Data Load Editor and if so, how would I do it? 

Labels (6)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Using the same logic as the front-end, but as a preceding load (docs, examples). In your example, let's assume that you already have the timestamp converted to the timezone you are interested in:

// Variables for random timestamp generation
Let vStart = Time#('00:00','hh:mm');
Let vEnd = Time#('23:59','hh:mm');
Let vStartMinute = num('$(vStart)')*24*60;
Let vEndMinute = num('$(vEnd)')*24*60;

[timestamps]:
// Use a preceding load to apply the logic of business hours being between 08:00 and 17:59
LOAD
	[timestamp],
    IF(HOUR([timestamp]) >= 8 AND HOUR([timestamp]) <= 17, 'Business Hours','After Hours') AS [IsBusinessHours];
// Create timestamps for 00:00 --> 23:59
LOAD
	Timestamp(Temp_Time/1440) as [timestamp];
LOAD
	$(vStartMinute) -1+  IterNo() as Temp_Time
AutoGenerate 1 While $(vStartMinute) + IterNo() -1<=  $(vEndMinute);

Resulting in this:

Levi_Turner_0-1713295192308.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Using the same logic as the front-end, but as a preceding load (docs, examples). In your example, let's assume that you already have the timestamp converted to the timezone you are interested in:

// Variables for random timestamp generation
Let vStart = Time#('00:00','hh:mm');
Let vEnd = Time#('23:59','hh:mm');
Let vStartMinute = num('$(vStart)')*24*60;
Let vEndMinute = num('$(vEnd)')*24*60;

[timestamps]:
// Use a preceding load to apply the logic of business hours being between 08:00 and 17:59
LOAD
	[timestamp],
    IF(HOUR([timestamp]) >= 8 AND HOUR([timestamp]) <= 17, 'Business Hours','After Hours') AS [IsBusinessHours];
// Create timestamps for 00:00 --> 23:59
LOAD
	Timestamp(Temp_Time/1440) as [timestamp];
LOAD
	$(vStartMinute) -1+  IterNo() as Temp_Time
AutoGenerate 1 While $(vStartMinute) + IterNo() -1<=  $(vEndMinute);

Resulting in this:

Levi_Turner_0-1713295192308.png

ammarahw
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you, I was able to make my above solution work by limiting the data to the last 30 days but I am going to try this to see if it performs better