Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williamandersson
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Best way of moving apps (qvfs) from Qlik Sense Enterprise On-Prem to Qlik Sense SaaS

Hi!

I need to move applications from Qlik Sense Enterprise On-Prem to a Saas-tenant. The applications are quite large ranging from 5-10GB in file size. I have identified a few ways this can be done I believe and that are listed below, but what is easiest and requires the least work to set up?

• Upload apps through frontend in Saas - Apps seems to be too large and I'm given "Error: File not uploaded".
  • Send apps via Data Transfer - Tried this but did not succeed. Given error "ERROR: Manual upload for dataset 0 finished with error."
  • Send apps via Qlik Data Gateway - Data movement - Not sure I can send qvf's with this functionality?
  • Cloud Distribution - We do not currently own a multi-cloud license, otherwise this way seems to be the most obvious one.

Any input helps! Thanks!

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Leigh_Kennedy
Employee
Employee

Is this a one-off move?  If so I would recommend using export without data, uploading the app to SaaS and then reloading it there.

Qlik Data Gateway - Data movement is not an option. this is a tool for moving data from source systems to Qlik cloud or other cloud platforms.

If you need to do this regularly, they I think you should look into getting a client-managed license that supports cloud distribution. 

Another option is to use qlik-cli for this.  Use the "qlik app import" command with the "--resumable" flag. See https://qlik.dev/toolkits/qlik-cli/app/app-import 

Regards.

View solution in original post

DaveChannon
Employee
Employee

To add another link to Leigh's comment, we released a tutorial which uses qlik-cli to move apps and reassign ownership of all app content earlier this week: https://qlik.dev/manage/migrate/qlik-cli-app-objects-migrate 

jongore
Contributor
Contributor

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the easiest and most straightforward option to move your large Qlik Sense applications from On-Prem to a SaaS-tenant would be to use Cloud Distribution, if you had a multi-cloud license.

However, since you do not have a multi-cloud license, the other options you listed may require more effort to set up.

Uploading the apps through the frontend in SaaS may not be possible if the file size exceeds the upload limit.

Sending the apps via Data Transfer may require troubleshooting to identify and resolve the error that occurred.

Sending the apps via Qlik Data Gateway may be possible, but it's unclear if qvf files can be sent using this functionality.

If none of these options work for you, you may need to explore other ways to transfer the large Qlik Sense applications, such as splitting them into smaller files or using a third-party file transfer service.

4 Replies
Leigh_Kennedy
Employee
Employee

Is this a one-off move?  If so I would recommend using export without data, uploading the app to SaaS and then reloading it there.

Qlik Data Gateway - Data movement is not an option. this is a tool for moving data from source systems to Qlik cloud or other cloud platforms.

If you need to do this regularly, they I think you should look into getting a client-managed license that supports cloud distribution. 

Another option is to use qlik-cli for this.  Use the "qlik app import" command with the "--resumable" flag. See https://qlik.dev/toolkits/qlik-cli/app/app-import 

Regards.

DaveChannon
Employee
Employee

To add another link to Leigh's comment, we released a tutorial which uses qlik-cli to move apps and reassign ownership of all app content earlier this week: https://qlik.dev/manage/migrate/qlik-cli-app-objects-migrate 

jongore
Contributor
Contributor

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the easiest and most straightforward option to move your large Qlik Sense applications from On-Prem to a SaaS-tenant would be to use Cloud Distribution, if you had a multi-cloud license.

However, since you do not have a multi-cloud license, the other options you listed may require more effort to set up.

Uploading the apps through the frontend in SaaS may not be possible if the file size exceeds the upload limit.

Sending the apps via Data Transfer may require troubleshooting to identify and resolve the error that occurred.

Sending the apps via Qlik Data Gateway may be possible, but it's unclear if qvf files can be sent using this functionality.

If none of these options work for you, you may need to explore other ways to transfer the large Qlik Sense applications, such as splitting them into smaller files or using a third-party file transfer service.

marksouzacosta
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello William,

In addition to the solutions already shared, I'd like to introduce you to a powerful tool developed by IPC Global — the inProcess App Operations CLI. This tool is designed to seamlessly transfer Qlik Applications between Qlik client-managed and Qlik Cloud environments. Moreover, it simplifies the process of setting up backup routines for your Qlik Sense Applications, ensuring the security of your critical data.

For those interested in exploring this innovative solution further, we invite you to visit our website: https://www.ipc-global.com/inprocess-app-operations.

You can also take advantage of our free trial to experience firsthand how inProcess App Operations can enhance and streamline your Qlik application management.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with.

Best regards,
Mark Costa
Product Manager
IPC Global

Read more at Data Voyagers - datavoyagers.net