cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Generate a calculated column with serial numbers for a straight table

I have a straight table containing 600 Rows of data. These 600 rows are divided in 3 groups based on a date. So each set of 200 rows of data pertain to a particular date (which is also one of the columns in the dataset). These rows are jumbled and not sorted based on date.

I am trying to generate a calculated column (field) that contains serial numbers for each of the set of 200 rows. So 1 to 200 for one set belonging to a particular date, then again 1 to 200 for the next set and so on.

However, I want this as a calculated column and not a measure. 

Please help!

Labels (3)
6 Replies
Vaibhav_Pathak
Contributor II
Contributor II

Use RowNo() function in Load script to get serial number(1 to 600) for all the records.

saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @Vaibhav_Pathak for your reply.

I have modified my question a bit. Will you be able to provide a solution to the updated question?

Thanks for your help! 

saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Also, is there a way to do this via Data Manager? I see my load script is locked. 

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can generate the serial numbers on the script with:

AutoNumber(RecNo(), DateField) as Serial

-Rob

saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks @rwunderlich for your response. Is it possible to achieve this via Data Manager?

I see functions like AutoNumber or RecNo cannot be applied using Data Manager.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Qlik made a design choice to exclude script only functions from the Data Manager calculated field dialog. I suppose because they cannot be calculated in the preview window. 

-Rob