Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Lease a license - test environment

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to lease a license.

I am going to work in a test environment (I don't know if that changes something but I prefer to mention it).

In the console management, I'm "Named CAL".

The name of my Qlikview server license is : QVS@ildeh1qvbak01

Then I open up Qlikview, I click on "Open in Server" and enter qvp://ildeh1qvbak01

Then I don't have any error message, I have the screen (attached file).

But it's still written that I'm using the personnal edition !!

What's the problem ? Why am I not using the license ?

Thank you for your help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

The Test Server license either Small Business or Enterprise does not allow to lease licenses. You will need to prompt for a license in the Production environment.

Miguel

View solution in original post

24 Replies
jonasheisterkam
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Have you test it with a other user, in the open on server dialog? In the produktiv installation i have some clients where the user-maschine combination would not work. But the user can lease one on a other machine and on that machine a other user works if it is entert in the open on server window.

jonasheisterkam
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

QLIKVIEW LICENSE LEASING

QlikView Technical Brief

QlikView Test Server

In most cases, customers choose to replicate the licenses they have in production to a test environment, utilizing the QlikView Test Server for this purpose. The QlikView Test Server does not permit license leasing because it does not have any allocated licenses. When users open QlikView applications on the Test Server, they actually use their production QlikView Server license. A QlikView developer only requires a single licensing server to be given offline development capabilities removing the restriction of the Personal Edition. This does not prohibit them in any way from creating and posting QlikView applications to any number of additional servers.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

if the qlikview server is a test server, from here (pag. 4)

QlikView License Leasing Technical Brief Paper.pdf

QlikView Test Server

In most cases, customers choose to replicate the licenses they have in production to a test

environment, utilizing the QlikView Test Server for this purpose. The QlikView Test Server

does not permit license leasing because it does not have any allocated licenses. When users

open QlikView applications on the Test Server, they actually use their production QlikView

Server license. A QlikView developer only requires a single licensing server to be given

offline development capabilities removing the restriction of the Personal Edition. This does

not prohibit them in any way from creating and posting QlikView applications to any number

of additional servers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Actually, the test server will have the licenses and we can lease the licenses. But the thing is, once you lease a license in single environment, you can use it only in that environment. If you use the same thing in different environment, it shows as you are running personal edition.

For example, your production environment is a cluster and you leased a license from production server and use it in the dev. You cannot use the same license lease in production environment. So, in this case, you see license lease in dev environment (here you are leasing from production QMC), but in production you cannot open any other documents.

If you need to have the same license lease in production, assign a named cal in dev QMC to yourself and use this in production environment.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

The Test Server license either Small Business or Enterprise does not allow to lease licenses. You will need to prompt for a license in the Production environment.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thank you for your answer. I don't really understand. What do you mean when you say "prompt for a license in the Production environment." ? Concretely, what do I do once I have opened Qlikview when I'm on the test environnement ?

Thank you for your help

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, I 've read that but I don't understand what I have to do concretely once I opened Qlikview in my environment test.

Any idea ?

Thanks again for your help

Not applicable
Author

Actually, I'm the only one to use this test environment (it was created lately) 

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Allow me to apply Miguels statement to your situation.

If you have a Production server with a regular QlikView Server licenses (say MachineP) and a Test server with a QlikView Test Server License (say MachineT), you can promote your QlikView Desktop from PE to "licensed" only by leasing a license from the production machine (MachineP). There are two main cases:

1. If you want to open any and all QVW files (the files themselves) from either the production environment or the test environment, open QV Desktop, select Open in server, navigate to the production machine (MachineP) and do something (selecting a file, opening a document whatever - the lease is usually transferred upon simply displaying the document tree. Only if you have a Named CAL assigned in Production QMC - MachineP, that is)

2. If you want to use QV Desktop as a client for visiting either Access Point, then you'll need a license assignment in both QMCs. That's because a license leased from production will not ring a bell with the test server - your account isn't recognized as a valid QV Test server user if you don't have a license (either a document or a named call) assigned in the Test QMC (on MachineT). So for visiting the Test AP and opening all or specific documents from that particular Access Point, you should have at least one license assigned to you in the Test QMC.

Usually, the range and type of client licenses in the Test Server license is exactly the same as those embedded in the Production license. But the Test server does not allow leasing (otherwise you would have double the number of Desktop licenses that you paid for) and stand-alone QlikView servers do not exchange/recognize each others CALs. So no floating licenses (yet). The best thing you can do is copy the license assignments from MachineP to MachineT (or vice versa) for all users/developers that need to visit/manage both machines.

Hope I'm making it clearer to you. If not, feel free to ask away.

Peter