Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion

what is filesize multiplier while calculating memory requirement

hello in below what file sizemultiplier.

RAM = (RAMuser × No. users) + RAMinitial

Where

RAM〗initial = QVWsizedisk × FileSizeMultiplier; this is the initial RAM footprint for any application

RAM〗user =〖RAMinitial × userRAMratio; this is the RAM each incremental user consumes

QVWsizedisk = SourceData × (1 - CompressionRatio); this is the size, on disk, of a

QlikView file

In fact i want to know each and every component in detail.

thanks for you helps

Sunil Chauhan

Sunil Chauhan
6 Replies
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Sunil,

As a rule Qliktech curerntly say the initial RAM footprint of a .qvw will be 10x the size of the .qvw on the HDD.

I find this to be a very rough guide but I guess it's the best we have to go one.

When calculating the amount of RAM that each new user will add Qliktech advise that this is 10% of the initial RAM footprint however I've found this to again be very rough for the reasons outlined in my blog post: http://qvdesign.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/set-analysis-good-for-you-bad-for-your-ram/

Your compression ratio should be directly related to the HDD > RAM ratio. This is determined by how efficient the column compression can be on your data - also you can alter the compression settings in the application but by default this is set to the highest setting I believe.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

Qlikview Design Blog: http://QVDesign.wordpress.com

Twitter: @QlikviewBI

SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion
Author

how did we calculate compression ratio?

Sunil Chauhan
Not applicable

Hi Sunil,

QlikView also employs a sophisticated data compression algorithm (as outlined in the QlikView Architecture and System Resource Usage Tech Brief) to allow for an extremely efficient usage of available RAM resources for data analysis. Compression ratios can range from 20% to 90%, depending on the nature of the data being compressed.

A general fact is: Low the cardinality in data, high the compression is.

CompressionRatio: range between 20%–90%

Hope this help,

Anosh Nathaniel

SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion
Author

what is cordinality in data??

Sunil Chauhan
Not applicable

Hi Sunil,

Cardinality means the different values in a column of a table. Low cardinality means the different type values are very less like for example flags where we have only two possible value 'Y' or 'N'.

Regards,

Anosh Nathaniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

what does mean File Size Multiplier?

Thanks.