Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to refer to a variable?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a way to refer to a DB_Name in the below WHERE condition (the one below is, obviously, not working). For the data model purpose I'd like to keep the condition within this bit, not load it into another table.

DBs:

SELECT DB_Name FROM Configuration;

Data:

LET NoOfDBs = NoOfRows('DBs');

FOR i = 0 to $(NoOfDBs)-1

LET DB_Name = Peek('DB_Name', $(i), 'DBs');

SELECT

'$(DB_Name)' AS DB_Name,

Dim_1

FROM $(DB_Name).Table_1 WHERE $(DB_Name) NOT IN ('DB_1');

NEXT

Regards,

Przemek

10 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Przemek,

Is the field "DB_Name" spelled correctly or does it come from the database in table "DBs" all uppercase? Note that QlikView is case sensitive also for the names of the fields, so although the name may be uppercase in the SQL statement, it may be returned in lowercase (for example).

Apart from that, set a TRACE after DB_Name just to check its value:

TRACE $(DB_Name);

Hope that helps.

Miguel

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Przemek,

Adding to what Miguel suggested...

Are you using SQL Server as your database engine? If yes, then you need to use following naming convention :

DatabaseName.SchemaName.TableName

or

DatabaseName..TableName

-- Here the two dots (..) represent default schema for the login

So you need use something like this..

DBs:

SELECT DB_Name FROM Configuration;

Data:

LET NoOfDBs = NoOfRows('DBs');

FOR i = 0 to $(NoOfDBs)-1

SELECT

'$(DB_Name)' AS DB_Name,

Dim_1

FROM $(DB_Name).dbo.Table_1 WHERE $(DB_Name) NOT IN ('DB_1');

NEXT

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

DV

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Miguel. Correct me if I'm wrong but TRACE $(DB_Name) will only let me to refer to the value and I need to refer to the column name $(DB_Name) to exclude given values. With TRACE $(DB_Name) I get: ABC NOT IN ('ABC') but I need to get DB_Name NOT IN ('ABC').

PS Don't bother upper/lower cases - I've carelessly translated it into English, script is ok.

Regards,

Przemek

Not applicable
Author

Hi Deepak,

thanks for your remarks. In the actual script (it is SQL) schemas are present - here reduced for readability purpose.

Regards,

Przemek

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Przemek,

TRACE only prints in the output and log files the result of the expansion of the variable. If it appears empty, it means it has been unable to retrieve the database name and populate the variable properly. So what is printing the TRACE line when you reload?

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

TRACE prints the name of my database that is being queried and that is correct. The thing is, however, that from the databases table - DBs - that will be looped I need to exclude one table, and to do it I need to refer to a column name not the value.

Przemek

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Przemek,

So if I understand it right, you are getting the expected value (table name) although you want to exclude some values from there. If my assumption is correct, do a WHERE in the SELECT DB_Name line to exclude as many table names as you want, so the FOR loop only take valid values.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

To clarify: I first create a table of databases to query from and then do a loop on this databases to get Dim_1 values out of Table_1 in each databes. However, when doing the loop I don't want one table from the DBs to be queried in the loop.

DBs: table of databases to be queried, total number - 5

Data: table of Dim_1 values from Table_1 from 4 databases in DBs, one database is to be excluded.

Hopefully, now it'll be clear 🙂

Przemek

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

The problem here is that the WHERE clause in the SELECT statement is not valid. This where clause is being passed to the database, and WHERE referencing a <tablename> is not syntax that the database server will understand. Where clauses filter on fields, not tables.

If you want to selectively open table, you will need to wrap the SELECT statement with a Qlikview If statement.

If '$(DB_Name)' <> 'DB_1' Then

SQL SELECT .....

End If

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein