Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to modify data if you only have .qvw file ?

I have downloaded qvw file from the client site which has a dashboard with chart and tables.  I need to modify some of these data to see what if scenario and to see how it will look when reloaded.

For example current dashboard has regions for sales . I want to replace them with city names. I canexport region data to excel sheet and change the name just to see how it looks. However, I don't kmow how to reload back and keep the relationship.

10 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi,

if you have the load script you could load your changed data with a Partial Reload. Therefor you have to add "REPLACE" before the LOAD command for the table(s) you want to replace with your data.

Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Just an idea, do a binary load on the QVW, export all tables to QVDs then clear the orignal QVW script and load the QVDs.

You can change any info in the final script.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can binary load an existing qvw and spin the tables out to csv oe qvd files with this script.

BINARY your.qvw;

Directory c:\temp\extract;

FOR i = 0 to NoOfTables()-1

LET vTableName = TableName($(i));

LET vOutfile = '$(vTableName).csv';

STORE [$(vTableName)] INTO [$(vOutfile)] (txt);

NEXT i

If you want QVDs instead of CSV, change the file extension on line 5 and the (txt) to (qvd) on line 6.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

How can I do binary load? I tried putting statement in basic script  - c:\xyz.qvw

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Binary must be the first statement in script. See the Help or Ref Guide for BINARY statement.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Got .qvw loaded ad binary. How to export to qvd? Export shows two options only -Export sheet image and Export Document layout. Export Document Layout creates xml files. Are they .qvd?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The script I posted above will export all tables to CSV files after the binary load. To export to QVD, just make a couple changes.

Directory c:\temp\extract;

FOR i = 0 to NoOfTables()-1

LET vTableName = TableName($(i));

LET vOutfile = '$(vTableName).qvd';

STORE [$(vTableName)] INTO [$(vOutfile)] (qvd);

NEXT i

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

I would like to be able to delete already loaded tables (binary qvw) and retrieve tables from other qvw.

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Aldo.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not clear on the question. Could you explain a little more?

-Rob